1. Can you please describe in detail and in simple terms what your day to day duties are? If there are tasks that you have to perform on a weekly or monthly basis, please mention these as well.
Hygiene is important, so everyday i have to check the cleanliness of all equipment of the kitchen before cooking to ansure compliance with occupational health and safety regulation. i have to prepare all cooking materials, i have to check the quality of food materials and weighing ingredients to make sure they are in proper proportions. then before finishing my work, i have to clean up the kitchen with my team and make sure all cooking equipment are clean and tidy for next day.
At the weekly- i have to check the weekly schedules . and then make sure my team everyone know it, then tell them what need to prepare for next week. weekly planning rotas with Executive Chef.
2. Please clarify how many hours per week do you work usually, and have been working on average since you started in your job.
Usually i work 35 hours/week. in the summer will be very busy(over 40 hours per week). quiet in the winter.
3. Who do you report to?
4. Are there other staff report to you directly? How many? What are their roles in the company?
Yes. Three staff. Two Chef de partie. One Kitchen hand.
5. Who plans menus for the restaurant?
Executive Chef and Manager. (i have to help provide some good idea)
6. What involvement/ input, if any, do you have in menu planning? Please explain and provide examples.
yes i do. i have to planning Asia buffet menu. every month we have different buffet in the hotel. i have to planning Chinese buffet menu and other Asia country buffet menu. because it is my strong point. and i have to assist Executive Chef in planning season menu also.
7. Do you have any input in estimating food costs? If yes, please explain how you would do it and give examples.
No i don't. because food costs belong to Executive Chef.
8. Do you have any input in estimating labour costs? If yes, please provide more details/explain.
No i don't.because labour costs belong to Executive Chef or Manager..
9. Do you have to order food supplies? If yes, please provide more details . Anyone else does it?
Yes i do. when Executive Chef not in the kitchen i am a second inchage, so i have to do the ordering from bidvest(wholesale food supplier)online. before i do the ordering i have to check the stock level of all materials of the kitchen, mark the purchases and order online . when ordered materials (including meat,vegetables,food,etc)are delivered to the kitchen, i have to check their qualities befor taking to storage.
sometime if me and Executive Chef all not in the kitchen, the food ordering will belong to the chef de partie.
10. Are you involved in training of any other staff? If yes, please explain how you train them, in what areas, what it involves.
Yes i do. new kitchen staff training is part of my job. i have to tell everything about the kitchen to the new staff and make sure they all understand that the kitchen is how it works.( health and safety, food safety, kitchen hygiene), it they all need to understand, and then start training in cooking. the first started training Entree, and then Mains, and Dessert. i have to make sure everyone understand the seasonal menu also.
11. Do you have to participate in any meetings with senior staff? How often do you meet with them and what do you discuss?
Yes i do. every week i will have meetings with Executive Chef, we will discuss weekly schedules about the kitchen, and every 6 month i will have meetings with Executive Chef and Manager. we will discuss about my job performance and my work ability.
12. Do you have any involvement in selection of new staff? If yes, please provide details.
No i haven't . selection of new staff belong to Executive Chef or Manager.
13. Please explain how you explain and enforce hygiene regulations.
Everyday hand washing and then check the cleanliness of all equipment of the kitchen. Ensure compliance with occupational health and safety regulations.
Ensure the chill food being held at right temperatures, hot foods are cooled appropriately and potentially hazardous foods on display are at correct temperature and time.
Ensure right materials for right areas and different materials use different cutting boards.
Every night have to clean up the kitchen make sure all cooking equipment are clean and tidy.
If you have any questions or information need form me, please Email me.